Freshwater Do Work’s Do Brew

Origin: Freshwater Brew (Nashville, TN)

ABV: 13%

STYLE:  Imperial Nut Brown Honey Porter

It’s been a long brewing process, but it was worth it. Enter Do Brew, an easy drinking Imperial Nut Brown Porter with a twist- local honey. My idea for this home brew simply came from my desire to combine my 2 favorite styles of beer- nut brown ale and porter. It was tough to combine the 2, as both beer styles are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. But, it happened, and it happened beautifully. The process spanned a total just shy of 5 weeks (from boiling to carbonating).

Appearance – Dark brown, almost black, with a tan head, resembling a shade just shy of Guinness drought.

Smell – sweet, just like a nut brown ale

Taste – In 1 word- awesome. This beer was brewed with the intent to add different flavors at different stages of the drink. The initial sip starts out smooth with a slight bitter taste that immediately makes its presence known. Then, as it travels to the back of your mouth, a sweet honey flavor emerges. This is the local honey that was added during one of the final stages of the brew process, prior to bottling. You get the entire flavor spectrum with a beer like this. Smooth, then bitter, then sweet, from start to finish. It is truly a great experience.

Drink-ability – Since this brew touts a kickin’ 13% alcohol level, it is not a beer to drink fast. But, it is smooth enough to not require slow sipping.

Overall Score – 92%. Being that it is my home brew, I am probably being a little bias. But, I’ve brewed multiple beers prior to this, and I have to say this is truly the best one to date. As my own worst critic, I thoroughly enjoyed this beer.

THE BREW PROCESS:

  1.  Acquiring the ingredients: While some prefer to grow their own wheat and crush ingredientstheir won grains, I prefer to let someone else do the work for me. You can find both liquid and dry malt extract, and grains that is already broken down. Add some hops, both bitter and aroma, and you’re ready to go.
  2. Boiling: after warming up my distilled water, I drop in my grains, and let them simmer for about 20 minutes. At this point, the water has turned in to “wort” (the beginning of beer).
  3. Adding malts: At this point, my house begins to smell like beer… The whole house,wort and that’s not a bad thing! I brought my water to a rolling boil, and I dumped in the liquid and dry malt extract (a lot of it). The wort quickly cools down, and it takes a while to bring it back up to high temps.
  4. Adding Hops: 5 minutes prior to terminating the boil, I added most of the bittering hops. Then prior to putting it in the 1st stage bucket (in which it will sit for 2 weeks), I added the aroma hops. Adding hops after the boil is known as “dry hopping,” and it gives the beer a unique smell that ultimately transfers in to a nice flavor.
  5. Stage 1 Fermentation: At this point, the beer stays in a large bucket for 2 weeks. This is the first stage of brewing, and all of the “stuff” you don’t want in a beer sinks to the bottom.
  6. Stage 2 Fermentation: I siphoned the beer in to a 7 gallon glass carboy, where it secondStagewill continue to ferment. This is the stage where the sugars in the malt mix with the grans to create the naturally occurring alcohol (which is responsible for the gravity content of the beer). After 2 more weeks, the beer is ready to be bottled
  7. Bottling: Prior to bottling, priming sugar is added. This sugar and mixed with the beer thoroughly for a few minutes to ensure a good mix. It is then bottled, where it will sit for just shy of 2 weeks. The priming sugar mixed with the yeast will cause the beer to carbonate over this 2 weeks period. I also added a few tablespoons of local honey to the mix. At this point, the beer alcohol content is sitting around 11.5% (pretty stout for a brew). Adding in the local honey will jump the alcohol content another 1.5%, bringing the total to 13%.
  8. Finished Product: Behold, Freshwater Do Brew. A sweet, stout, nut brown honey finishporter, clocking in at 13% alcohol.

I hope you guys enjoyed reading this as much as I did brewing my home brew. For those locally in the area, feel free to ask for a sample. I might bring some to my local cigar bar sometime for those interested.

Share this:
Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter

Comments are closed.